Sunday, August 4, 2013

Hi. I'm WET.

Hi!!! I'm in Korea! It's real! Sometimes I walk along not really paying attention, but then I look up and realize I'm in KOREA. It's super cool.
 
Ok. The plane ride was long but good. I got to sit by a friend of mine from the zone, so that was good. We arrived at 3-ish PM Korea time and were greeted by a wave of heat. SO HOT. The Assistants to the President were there to pick us up and took us by bus to the mission office, which is right behind the temple. We ate at a cool restaurant and it was super delicious. Even the kimchi.  We stayed at the temple that night. The next day (Wednesday) we had lots of meetings and training and met the mission president. And then we proselyted. (No trainer, just in our greenie companionships.) That was an experience. We would ask them a question, then they'd answer, and we would just nod our heads and smile because we had not idea what they said. Awesome. Then we ate at another delicious restaurant (sushi is delicious here) and went to bed.
 
Thursday, we got our trainers. My trainers name is 구영진 (koo-yeoung-jeen) and he is a native korean. He doesn't speak a whole lot of english and I speak zero korean, so there are some communication breakdowns. But it's really fun. I love him. He is a great guy and seems to know why he's out here. His korean is really really good (haha, he's native) so it's a really great learning experience for me.
 
Seoul is beautiful. And huge. I can't believe how many people there are and how big it is. There are people EVERYWHERE. And they all speak some foreign language I don't understand. It's cool though. I'm learning. Korea is surprisingly green. There are huge green mountains and forests scattered around the country. It's super cool. As far as transportation, we usually walk, but sometimes take the bus or subway. Cool.
 
Oh my goodness. It is incredibly hot. And humid. I have never sweat so much in my life. EVER. I sweat all day. There is no relief. So I'm kind of excited for winter, because this is gross. I wonder what the koreans think when this sweaty american guy stops them on the street and speaks broken korean at them. It's fun. Our apartment has no air conditioning. Luckily we have fans. I about cried when I saw them because I was so happy.
 
 
I'm getting better at chopsticks. Which is good. I thought I was going to starve to death for a little bit there.
 
Proselyting is really fun. I'm learning so much in the language every day. I still understand next to nothing, but it's ok. I know that understanding will come. We don't have a whole lot of investigators... But we're working hard and have a couple of potential investigators. It's awesome.
 
Life is good here. It's harder work than I thought it would be. The MTC was a piece of cake compared to this. But I love the work. I am bringing people unto Christ.
 
I love you all. Korea is great. Keep the faith!
 
Love, Elder Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment