Sunday, August 31, 2014

이동전화왔다 헐...

Translation courtesy of Elder Edwards: "Transfer calls came, wow..."

Elder Taylor and I, after riding the bikes in
pouring rain for 20 minutes.

Transfer calls came. I'm leaving Wonju ㅠ.ㅠ My new area is 동대문 (Dongdaemoon), which is in the big city... Seoul. I'll be going from our small 6 man district to a large 10 man district, with 4 Koreans in our district!! My new companion's name is 이원형 (Leewonhyung), and he's pretty old in the mission. He'll die sometime before 2015. And we will be zone leaders together! Zone leaders over Dongdaemoon and two other areas (Eemoon and Hwayang). Dongdaemoon is a ward as well, and I'm super excited to serve there!!! There will be TONS more people there than here in good old little Wonju. It's going to be weird leaving the countryside... I don't know any of the missionaries that are out there working in the city. I only know Elder Leewonhyung by name and sight. So it'll be a little bit of a new experience for a country bumpkin such as me, but I'm super excited.

Saying goodbye... yes, I got transferred :(  

This week was a good week. We proselyted during the week days, and then this weekend we had a District Conference over in Gangneung. That was long. We rode there and back with members on Saturday, and then rode there and back again with members on Sunday. 7 hours in a car/rented bus. It was long but good. Really cool to see everyone one last time before I leave, especially the Taebeck branch members. It'd been a long time since I'd seen them, so it was good to see them once more and say goodbye. President and Sister Christensen came to District Conference and both spoke (President in Korean, Sister Christensen in English which was then translated). It was some good meetings. One thing that I heard that I really liked: "Big problems come from thinking that the small things are not important." The theme for the conference was "small and simple things."

More goodbyes...

This morning was spent frantically packing stuff that has scattered through the house over an 8 month period and trying to fit it and newly acquired items in suitcases, which we just barely mailed. Leaving Wonju is lame. I've been here for 6 transfers, and been in the countryside for 8 transfers (11 months) counting Taebeck. The city will be somewhat new. People say that transfers are good, and they usually are, but I don't want to leave Wonju. But, at the same time, I am really excited to work in the city. Goodbyes are hard, mostly because I know that I'll probably never get to see any of these people again. But change is good. I leave tonight (a day and a half earlier than usual), to meet my new companion and catch my first meeting as zone leader tomorrow morning. Here goes nothing!

I love you all!
Love, Elder Edwards





No comments:

Post a Comment