Sunday, December 8, 2013

All my heart and Seoul.

Good week this week!
 
Elder Fronke and I went on mini exchanges yesterday after church, and we went and visited a less active and an english class member and knocked doors. It was actually really fun. And while we were knocking doors, we found a lady who was super interested!!!!! That's never happened to me before while knocking doors. She opened her door, we told her who we are and that we wanted to share a message, and she invited us right now! But, she lives by herself, so we couldn't enter her house (as a missionary, we need at least another man present.) That was a huge bummer. But we got her number and we will be reffering her to the sisters. Awesome. I was on a missionary work high after that experience.
 
On Tuesday after planning, we were getting ready for bed when a knock came on the door. It was the Assistants! Which was kind of scary, mostly because one of our Assistants is 6' 8" and he kind of towered in that dark hallway. They came for Zone training meeting the next day, so they slept at our house and traveled with us to Zone training. AND, I got to do my final pass-off to an Assistant, which means I'm done. SWEET.
 
There was a wedding in Taebeck on Saturday. A church member who used to live in Taebeck got married to a non member. In Korea, it's tradition to get married in your hometown. So we got to go to a wedding. It was in Korean. So I didn't get a whole lot out of it. But there was a sweet buffet afterwards, so I guess it was worth it.
 
I gave a talk in Sacrament meeting yesterday on families. I discovered a fool proof way to not rush when giving a talk in Sacrament meeting. Do it in another language! It was kind of terrifying, but I think I killed it. Maybe. Preparing the talk in Korean was suprisingly easy. I only needed about half the material for a normal 15 minute talk because I can't talk nearly that fast. It was sweet.
 
I read this poem in one of Jeffrey R. Hollands talks this past week:
      It darkens. I have lost the ford.
      There is a change on all things made.
      The rocks have evil faces, Lord,
      And I am sore afraid.
 
That talk and this poem hit me pretty hard. The talk was about enduring trials and hoping for "a better world". Taebeck hasn't been super easy, and so I felt like this talk applied really well for me. How grateful I am for Jesus Christ, who is our light. "I am the light which shineth in the darkness", "I am the light of the world", "I am... the bright and morning star", "... a light that is endless, that can never be darkened." Christ knows us perfectly. And he atoned for all so that we may be happy. He knows our trials and hard times, and he lights the way, no matter how dark. I know that!
 
Korea is still great. I like kimchi. I miss eating real vegetables, though.
 
Love,
 
Elder Spencer Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment