Sunday, January 26, 2014

I would give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

It was a good week this week. We got some rain, we didn't get any snow, and it was surprisingly warm during the days and bitter cold at night. It reminded me a bit of Utah weather... bipolar.
These candies are the Korean equivalent of Hi-chews, and I found a giant one. 
That was a good night of happily eating candy.
I went on exchanges with one of the zone leaders a couple weeks ago, and while we were knocking doors we found a dude who was kind of mad at us for scaring his daughters by knocking. But then it turned out that he was fluent at English and super nice and willing to talk with us. We've met him twice since then, and he fed us some delicious lamb and promised us to refer some of his friends to us so that we wouldn't have to knock doors all the time. Super cool guy. His English name is Antonio.

We met a foreigner this week. He's a 65 year old white guy from Missouri, and he's been in Korea for 6 years. He can't really speak any Korean. He's an English teacher here, which is the most common profession for foreigners in Korea. (I think. I've only met foreigners that are teachers. But I kind of made up that stat.) We then talked about why he hated America so much, tried to give him a Book of Mormon, but he hopped on a bus and we never saw him again. He was funny. But it sure seems like a lonely life living in a foreign country completely alone.

We had a super awesome investigator who was SO interested in our church and the Book of Mormon. I texted him the other day, asking him if he had time the next day. His wife texted back and told me to that if I never contacted again, it would be good. So, being the good boy that I am, I called him a couple of days later and got an earful from his wife. No more investigator. That was kind of a downer. We have been rejected SO many times by the wives of people we talk to. I guess they don't want their husbands to be deceived or something. Except we help people away from deception, not toward it... Oh well.

Elder Murdock and I were late for an appointment, and there was a mountain in the way between where we were and where we needed to go. So we decided to hoof it over the mountain. We talked to two people on the mountain, and both took a Book of Mormon and were really receptive! I think we'll be doing mountain proselyting more often. I'll be needing some different shoes. 
Our mountain adventure.
We came back and talked to one of the guys on the mountain again after our appointment punked us, and we talked to him for a solid hour. He says that he goes up there everyday and sits and watches nature and thinks about the purpose of life. I tried to talk about the Plan of Salvation, but then he talked about why money is the most important thing in this life. And he was serious! It's so weird to me that people actually think that way. But he told us to visit any time at his little mountain hideaway.

I taught myself how to whistle this week. I have a solid 3 note range. It's a work in progress.

Transfer calls are this Saturday. Weird! This transfer FLEW by.

Life is great! I love you all!
Love, Elder Edwards

My breakfast fell on the floor this morning. I was really sad. But I remembered that we vacuum monthly, and that teenage boys NEVER walk on our floor with their dirty feet, so I ate off the floor. I felt sufficiently uncivilized. Also, the machine on the right is a Korean vacuum cleaner. The whole house is a kind of wood floor, but people never sweep. Always vacuum. And the red circle thingy in the back is a rice cooker. We eat rice everyday. It's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment