Sunday, January 19, 2014

나는 멋있다

A view of Korea. It incorporates some of my favorite parts of Korea:
Me, random fields, huge apartments,
traditional Korean houses (the roof), and beautiful mountains.

Hello from Wonju!

It's been a pretty typical week of missionary work... not too many cool stories or experiences to share. Just that doing the Lord's work is awesome and I'm having the time of my life! I'm tired a lot and stressed sometimes/a lot, but the work is awesome and I'm so happy to be doing it. Korea is still pretty awesome, and Korean food is the best thing ever. I miss shakes and good french fries and starbursts and subway sandwiches every once in a while, but Korean food is the bomb. 

Mmmm... Soup. Fish, kimchi, and tofu.

We had dinner with an investigator, and there were some really spicy peppers there. I took a small bite of one, and managed to hide my pain and tears for long enough to tell Elder Murdock to eat a whole one because they weren't that spicy. He shoved a whole one in his mouth. I think he cried for a solid half hour. I felt some shame, but it was mostly just really funny. It reminded me of the time that I made Dallen eat that pepper at the Chinese restaurant for a quarter. Totally worth it.

Me and Mona Lisa.
We had Zone Conference this week in Gangneung, which is about a 1.5 hour bus ride from good old Wonju. President Christensen and his wife and the Assistants came! It was really awesome. They gave some great talks about Testifying, Obedience, and Hard Work, which is our mission vision. (Dad: basically our mission X statement.) Super good talks. I love Zone conferences and Mission conferences. I always leave feeling inspired to do and be better.

A SWEET tunnel we found.
It's interesting how few foreigners are here in Korea. We see a fellow foreigner only about twice a week. Elder Murdock says that there are 200ish foreigners in Wonju, but I've seen a total of 5 (some more than once) in the 4 weeks I've been here. So, people stare at us ALL the time. Sometimes secretly, but mostly just blatantly. Kids 8 years old and under usually jump a little bit when they see us. It's kind of funny. It's especially bad when we go into a restaurant as a district... People stare at us and whisper about the "Waygookeen"(foreigner) the whole time. but usually we can use our foreigner power to get people to talk to us on the street, because we look weird.

Korea is great! I love you all!
Love, Elder Edwards


A view of my desk and me diligently studying.
My sweet tie and grandma pants.
Grandmas in Korea wear pants like these all the time.
In typical fashion, I bought myself some.

The view that Koreans see when I knock on their door.
There is a camera outside that they can activate to see who
is there and talk to through the phone inside their house. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment